Spelling of Nozzle: Nozzle is spelled n-o-z-z-l-e. The plural form is spelled n-o-z-z-l-e-s.
Definition of Nozzle: A nozzle is a projecting piece with an opening that regulates and directs the flow of a fluid, as at the end of a hose. Nozzle is also slang for nose, as in the feature of the face that bears the nostrils and nasal cavity.
Pronunciation of Nozzle: Nozzle is pronounced naw-zul.
How to Use Nozzle in a Sentence
What does nozzle mean? Nozzle is a noun. A nozzle can be a projecting vent of something or a short tube or spout that’s tapered or constricted so as to increase the velocity or direct the flow of fluid. There is usually a nozzle at the end of hoses, pipes, and tubes.
- His Halloween costume included a tube with a nozzle at the end, which, when opened, would release fake blood.
- The first setting on the nozzle of the water hose was too strong and it scared the dog.
Nozzle is also a slang term for nose.
- How did you manage to get pen ink on your nozzle?
- She threw the ball and it hit me square in the nozzle.
History & Etymology of Nozzle
The word nozzle was first used in 1683, according to Merriam-Webster’s.
Nozzle is derived from Middle English noselle, meaning a socket on a candlestick, and is the diminutive of nose.
Alternate and earlier forms of the word include nozle, nosle, and nosel.
Synonyms for Nozzle
Nozzle doesn’t have any synonyms for its primary definition as a tube or spout, however, it does have several for its slang use for nose. The following synonyms are mostly other slang or idiomatic terms for nose:
Outside Examples of Nozzle
- Police in North Dakota have arrested a man for possession of drugs after first spotting him attempting to light a cigarette with the nozzle of a gas pump. – LA Times
- The family of a 35-year-old man who was shot to death by Long Beach police after they mistook a water hose nozzle he was holding for a handgun was awarded $6.5 million in damages by a federal jury Thursday. – LA Times
Nozzle is a noun with two meanings. The first and primary definition of nozzle is a spout, vent, or short tube with a taper or constriction, as at the end of a hose, pipe, or tube, to control the flow of fluid. The second use of the word is as a slang term for nose.