Spelling of Injury: Injury is spelled i-n-j-u-r-y.
Definition of Injury: An injury is some sort of damage or harm done or suffered by a person or thing. In law, an injury is a violation of another’s rights for which legal action to recover damages or losses is allowed.
Pronunciation of Injury: Injury is pronounced in-jer-ee.
How to Use Injury in a Sentence
What does injury mean? Injury is a noun. It is the damaging or hurtful result of an action.
An inury may refer to a specific type of damage, loss, or hurt—such as a broken leg or sprained ankle. It is also used in law to refer to the violation of someone else’s rights for which legal redress is allowable.
- He sustained a leg injury from his fall in the football match today.
- The injury to my client by the defendant is clear and has been catastrophic in his life and business affairs.
Phrases That Use Injury
Add insult to injury: to say or do something that worsens an already bad situation or injury for someone.
- The boss demanded that all employees work overtime, and to add insult to injury, there would be no overtime pay.
Do oneself an injury: to hurt oneself or become injured by one’s own actions.
History & Etymology of Injury
According to Merriam-Webster’s, the first known use of injury was in the 14th century.
The word comes from Middle English, injurie, from Anglo-French, and originally from the Latin word, iniuria, meaning a wrong, injustice, which is the feminine form of iniurius, meaning unjust. The original Latin word was formed by adding the prefix “in-”, not, to ius, iur-, law.
Synonyms for Injury
The primary definition of injury—damage or harm caused to someone or something—has a few synonyms that can be substituted.
In terms of the legal definition, the following synonyms may be used to replace injury.
Outside Examples of Injury
- The cause of the ankle injury that is threatening to sideline Giants cornerback Janoris Jenkins for a second straight game is a mystery. – The Star-Ledger
- Although RD Legal allegedly referred to the transactions as “assignments,” such transactions constitute an unlawful sale or assignment of a personal injury claim under New York law, the lawsuit alleged. – USA Today
Injury is a noun that refers either to the damage or harm done or suffered by a person or animal or to the legal term meaning loss, damage, or suffering caused by another unjustly and for which legal repercussions are available.