Spelling of Goddess: Goddess is spelled g-o-d-d-e-s-s. There are two “-d’s” and two “-s’s.”
Definition of Goddess: A goddess is a female god or deity, a being with supernatural powers or attributes, worshipped by people. It is also often used to describe a woman of great beauty, charm, or grace.
Pronunciation of Goddess: Goddess is pronounced god-ess. Although they are not spelled similarly, the word bodice (bod–iss) rhymes with goddess.
How to Use Goddess in a Sentence
What does goddess mean? Goddess is a noun. A goddess is a female deity or god that is believed in and worshipped by a people. A goddess is believed to have supernatural abilities or attributes.
Many ancient civilizations, including Greece and Rome, were polytheistic and believed in both gods and goddesses. Even today, there are cultures that worship gods and goddesses.
- In ancient Greek culture and mythology, Aphrodite is the goddess of love, beauty, pleasure, and sex.
- Today, in our world religion class, we learned about the blue, Hindu goddess
Goddess is also used to refer to a very beautiful or graceful woman.
- That woman is a goddess, with her innate beauty, great figure, and unending grace.
- My wife is a goddess, unlike any woman I’ve ever seen or met.
History & Etymology of Goddess
This word was first used in Middle English in the 14th century, according to Merriam-Webster’s.
Goddess combines the Germanic word “god” with the Latin suffix “-ess”. This word follows the linguistic precedent of differing masculine and feminine endings, where “-ess” is a feminine ending. Other languages that employ this rule include Classical Greek, Egyptian, and Spanish.
Synonyms for Goddess
Since goddess refers to a female deity, there are no direct synonyms of the word.
However, there are some words that can be substituted for the word’s secondary meaning of a significantly beautiful or admired woman, and they include:
Outside Examples of Goddess
- A 3-year-old girl became Nepal’s new living goddess Thursday, revered by both Hindus and Buddhists in the Himalayan nation. –USA Today
- Shannon Hunt’s journey to muscle goddess is marked by her battle with multiple cancers. –Houston Chronicle
Goddess is a noun that refers to a female deity or god in polytheistic religions. It has also come to be used to refer to an exceptionally beautiful, admired, or attractive woman.
The feminine suffix “-ess” was added to the word “god” in order to specifically refer to the female form.