How do you abbreviate turnpike? There are three common ways to abbreviate turnpike.
- Tpke. Extension
- History of the Tpk.
- Exit Trnpk., Right Lane Only.
The plural abbreviation of turnpike is tpkes. or tpks., or trnpks
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found on signs maps, and abbreviated directions. You might abbreviate the word turnpike to tpke. on route directions for a highway or other road signs. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of professional titles or headlines, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Turnpike Mean?
Definition of Turnpike: Turnpike is defined as an expressway, especially one on which a toll is charged.
- Jaime opted to travel via the Hartford Turnpike rather than Interstate-95 and they still made their appointment with twenty minutes to spare.
- As we pulled up to the toll booth, a buck dashed across the freeway, causing some cars to screech to a halt.
The word turnpike functions as a noun in the sentence.
Outside Examples of Turnpike
- A retired State Police trooper shot and killed two people at a Pennsylvania Turnpike interchange early Sunday morning, and soon after was fatally shot by police when they exchanged gunfire as he attempted to steal money from an armored vehicle. –USA Today
- It burned bright on a gray day as Kizer threw for 471 yards, a career high, but Notre Dame (2-3) knew its defense was at tire fire long before getting off at Exit 16W on the Jersey Turnpike. –New York Daily News
Summary: Turnpike Abbreviation
There are a few common abbreviations of turnpike: tpke., tpk., and trnpk. If you want to make one of these plural, simply add on an “s.”