How do you abbreviate Spanish? There are two ways to abbreviate Spanish.
- Spa. Class, Rm. 65
- Offered: Span, Ital., and Fr.
Spanish is a singular, proper noun, with no plural form.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found used in schools, in second language classes.
You might abbreviate the word Spanish to Span. on language assignments, note taking, and on forms where nationality is asked. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of professional titles or headlines, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Spanish Mean?
Definition of Spanish: Spanish is defined as of or relating to Spain, its people, or its language.
- The service tonight was in Spanish.
- The Spanish Ambassador was late for the cocktail party.
Outside Examples of Spanish
- If there was a deeper thought behind the inspired silliness – and there likely was, given the intelligence of Michael Palin, Terry Gilliam, John Cleese and the other members of the comedy troop – it is that, indeed, no one did expect the Spanish Inquisition or any of the innumerable calamities that periodically befall human societies . –Los Angeles Times
- A day after taking steps to warm relations with Hispanics, Donald J. Trump may have taken a step backward Wednesday when he suggested that Jeb Bush was setting a bad example by speaking Spanish. –New York Times
Summary: Spanish Abbreviation
There are two common abbreviations of Spanish: spa. and span., neither of which can be pluralized.