How do you abbreviate society? There are two common ways to abbreviate society.
- Amer. Soc. for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Assimilate to our socy.
The plural abbreviation of society is socs. or socys.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation abbreviated in organizational names and note taking. You might abbreviate the word society to soc. on a business card or an organizational sign.
It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper columns where space is a concern. Outside of professional titles or headlines, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Society Mean?
Definition of Society: Society is defined as the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community; an organization or club formed for a particular purpose or activity.
- Mary and Lenny, forming their own “mutual admiration society”, neither saw nor heard anything or anyone nearby when they were together!
- The Irtleman estate was taken over by a commune of people who had chosen to drop out of society to live and survive by their shared principles.
The word society functions as a noun in the sentence.
Outside Examples of Society
- Many hold that a society should encourage Muslims to follow Islamic laws as much as possible – regarding the headscarf, alcohol or sexual morality – but that non-Muslims should be free to live according to their own principles. God will judge them in the end. –New York Daily News
- “One of the things Archbishop Blair recognizes is that what we need as a society is faith and the ability to practice your faith, whatever that faith may be,” Becker said. –The Hartford Courant
Summary: Society Abbreviation
There are two common abbreviations of society: soc. and socys. If you want to make either of these plural, simply add on an “s.”