How do you abbreviate retired? There is one common way to abbreviate retired.
- Cpl. Jasmine Kook (Ret.)
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found in reference to retired military personnel at all levels. It is also common to see on governmental forms, such as Social Security or Medicare programs.
You might abbreviate the word retired to ret. on profile portions of applications or forms or in shorthand note taking.
Abbreviation of the word retired is mostly used when there is a lack of space, such as on a television headline, newspaper heading, etc. In most writing, however, it is appropriate to spell out the word.
What Does Retired Mean?
Definition of Retired: Retired is defined as having left one’s job and ceased to work; archaic.
- My father is a retired attorney.
- The institution operates on retired methods.
- He retired the old Buick with 300,000 miles.
The word retired functions as an adjective, adjective, verb, respectively, in the above sentences.
Outside Examples of Retired
- A bill creating a new class of police officer – and stationing armed, retired cops inside New Jersey schools – passed the state Senate on Thursday after lawmakers adopted an amendment recommended by the governor. –The Star Ledger
- Harward would have replaced retired Gen. Michael Flynn, who resigned at Trump’s request Monday after revelations that he misled Vice President Mike Pence about discussing sanctions with Russia’s ambassador to the U.S. during the transition. –Orange County Register
Summary: Retired Abbreviation
Retired has one commonly used abbreviation: ret.