How do you abbreviate Philadelphia? There are two common ways to abbreviate Philadelphia.
Phila. is the most formal abbreviation, Philly is more of a slang abbreviation, and PHL is an airport abbreviation.
- Philly Steak
- We flew out of PHL and connected to our next flight in LAX.
Although Philadelphia can be abbreviated, it is a singular, proper noun and cannot be pluralized.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is obviously used when referring to the city of Philadelphia. PHL is the airport abbreviation used by travelers of every persuasion.
You might abbreviate the word Philadelphia to PHL or Philly on a postal address or in conversational reference to the city. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of postal addresses, reference to PHL (airport), common usage of the “nickname” Philly, or headlines, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Philadelphia Mean?
Definition of Philadelphia: Philadelphia is defined as a city in S.E. Pennsylvania, on the Delaware River: Declaration of Independence signed there July 4, 1776.
- How many days away is your trip to Philadelphia?
- Besides enjoying a Philly steak, we took advantage of our time in Philadelphia to visit Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.
The word Philadelphia functions as a noun in the sentence.
Outside Examples of Philadelphia
- “What Donald Trump would like to see done, as I would, is to have those emails given to the FBI,” he told reporters in Philadelphia. –The Dallas Morning News
- Watch out, Philadelphia. Here comes the suburbanizers. –The Philadelphia Inquirer
Summary: Philadelphia Abbreviation
There are two common abbreviations of Philadelphia: PHL and Philly. This proper noun cannot be pluralized.