How do you abbreviate part? There is one common way to abbreviate part.
- pt. for flywheel
- pt. 1 sc. 1
The plural abbreviation of part is pts.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found in the automotive & appliance industry, signage and in note taking. You might abbreviate the word part to pt. on a business card, in automotive catalogs, and on scripts for actors. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper columns where space is a concern.
Outside of these specified industries, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Part Mean?
Definition of Part: Part (noun) is defined as piece or segment of something such as an object, activity, or period of time, which combined with the other pieces makes up the whole; Part (verb) some but not all of something; Part (adverb) to some extent; partly often used to contrast different parts of something.
- Mom divided the one scone into three parts so none of would be hungry.
- His lips parted in a smile
- The city is now part slum, part consumer paradise.
The word part functions as a noun in the first sentence, as a verb in the second, and as an adverb in the third.
Outside Examples of Part
- The county has closed a part of Dana Point Harbor to swimming and diving because of a sewage spill. –Orange County Register
- As Boys Get Fatter, Parents Worry One Body Part is Too Small –The New York Times
Summary: Part Abbreviation
There is one common abbreviation of part: prt. If you want to make it plural, simply add on an “s.”