How do you abbreviate measurement? There are a few common ways to abbreviate measurement.
- MEAS is the abbreviation for measurement in business and government (NASA).
- We used new data as the baseline for our measurement (M.).
The plural abbreviation of measurement is measure’s., meas’s., or M’s. Remember that use of the apostrophe in plural abbreviations should be avoided, unless omitting it will cause the reader confusion.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation can be found in food preparation, engineering, aerospace, in medical laboratories, and mathematics.
You might abbreviate the word measurement to measure., meas., or M., on a recipe card, on a lab report, or on shorthand notes. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is of concern.
Outside of these specific instances, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Measurement Mean?
Definition of Measurement: Measurement is defined as the action of measuring something; the size, length or amount of something, as established by measuring; a unit or system of measuring.
- Randall took the measurements for Aldo’s tuxedo.
- To take the measurement of a horse, a hand is used.
The word measurement functions as a noun in the above sentences.
Outside Examples of Measurement
- The winter’s first manual measurement of the Sierra Nevada snowpack will take place next week, state officials said Tuesday, eager for any signs of relief from one of California’s worst droughts in a century of recordkeeping. –Los Angeles Times
- Taking this higher measurement as Trump’s proposed height (because why not?), this would mean Trump’s hypothetical wall has doubled since earlier this month, when he said it would be between 35 and 40 feet tall. –The Dallas Morning News
Summary: Measurement Abbreviation
There are a few abbreviations of measurement: measure., meas., and M.