How do you abbreviate height? There are two common ways to abbreviate height.
- Ht. 52 in.
- Rider must be a minimum 52 in. hgt.
The plural abbreviation of height is hts. or hgts.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This word is a measurement used widely in all aspects of building and architecture, often taken as part of a medical physical, mathematics, engineering, or aviation.
You might abbreviate the word height to ht. or hgt. on a patient chart, a blueprint, or when performing elementary math problems. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
In other writing, it is usually not appropriate and should be written out in full.
What Does Height Mean?
Definition of Height: Height is defined as the measurement from base to top or (of a standing person) from head to foot; a high place or area.
- Jeremy was five feet in height by age 8!
- David is terrified of both height and close spaces.
The word height functions as a noun in the sentence.
Outside Examples of Height
- The agency said in a statement that the probe dropped from a height of 1.4 miles to 2.4 miles and struck the surface at a speed exceeding 186 mph. –New York Daily News
- The National Guard Bureau, the Pentagon agency that oversees state Guard organizations, has acknowledged that bonus overpayments occurred in every state at the height of the two wars. –Los Angeles Times
Summary: Height Abbreviation
There are two common abbreviations of height: ht. and hgt. If you want to make either of these plural, simply add on an “s.”