How do you abbreviate double? There are two common ways to abbreviate double. (Note Internet slang has also contributed 2X as an abbreviated form of double)
- dbl. rewards
- dubl. number expected
Of these two abbreviations, dbl. is definitely the more common abbreviation. The plural abbreviation of double is dbls. or dubls.
When to Use This Abbreviation
You might see this abbreviation at a restaurant for a dbl. cheeseburger or for a credit card advertisement for dbl. rewards.
Generally speaking, however, abbreviations such as dbl. or dubl. will not appear in prose or similarly written texts. They are reserved for titles, headlines, advertisements, shorthand notes, or other areas where space is a concern.
What Does Double Mean?
Definition of Double: Double is defined as consisting of two equal, identical, or similar parts or things; having some essential part or feature twice, in particular; a thing that is twice as large as usual or is made of two standard units or things; become twice as much or as many.
- We bought our tickets at the box office the night of the concert, and were shocked that ours cost double what you paid!
- We joined two sleeping bags together to make a double.
- Shinbone Corporation’s profits doubled in less than 9 months!
Outside Examples of Double
- An NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey of likely voters released Monday put Clinton ahead of Trump, 52 percent to 38 percent, outside the margin of error. That was a double the gap in a similar poll taken last Monday before the first presidential debate which gave Clinton a 48 percent to 41 percent advantage. –The Star Ledger
- Her (Clinton’s) plan would double the Child Tax Credit and provide low income families more money in refunds. –Newsday
Summary: Double Abbreviation
There are two common abbreviations of double: dbl. and dubl. If you want to make either of these plural, simply add on an “s.”