How do you abbreviate dollars? There are a few common ways to abbreviate dollars.
- We accept USD
- 10/21/16 Dols. collected by individual row: 224, 461, 148, 289, 85
Dollars is plural and the abbreviations imply single and/or plural without any further indication. So then, the plural abbreviations of dollars are USD, $,or dols. (An “s” can be added to this last, less common abbreviation if desired).
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found in every day transactions in business, accounting, and banking.
You might abbreviate the word dollars to USD, $, or dol. in accounting, business, or on any record of monetary transaction. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of accounting, commerce, and every day monetary transactions, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Dollars Mean?
Definition of Dollars: Dollars is defined as the basic monetary unit of the U.S., Canada, Australia, and certain countries in the Pacific, Caribbean, Southeast Asia, Africa, and South America.
- I purchased the shawl from a UK site for seventy-five dollars.
- Mayor Twinkee is scheduled to testify at committee tomorrow to rebut the accusation of “improper use of taxpayer dollars”
The word dollars functions as a noun in the sentence.
Outside Examples of Dollars
- Even before promising a huge boost in military spending, Trump’s plans to cut taxes, expand infrastructure spending and leave untouched entitlement programs such as Social Security already threatened to add trillions of dollars to the federal deficit. –Orange County Register
- More than a quarter million dollars worth of marijuana floating south Florida waters seized –Houston Chronicle
Summary: Dollars Abbreviation
There are two common abbreviations of dollars and one less common: USD, $, and dols. The latter two abbreviations can be read as singular or plural but the third, less common abbreviation can be pluralized by simply add on an “s.”