How do you abbreviate Bureau? There are two common ways to abbreviate bureau.
- Bur. of Engraving and Printing
- Federal Bu.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found in office-wide titles for employees. You might abbreviate the word bureau to bur. on a business card, a nameplate, on signage or in shorthand note taking. In Washington, D.C., you might see the word abbreviated on signs or maps indicating government building locations.
It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of specific instances, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Bureau Mean?
Definition of Bureau: Bureau is defined as an office or department for transacting particular business; a writing desk with drawers.
- The Bureau of Land Management makes those decisions.
- Please move the bureau to the wall across from the foot of the bed.
The word bureau functions as a noun in the above sentences.
Outside Examples of Bureau
- In 1995, for example, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation interviewed dozens of former members, along with Whaley and other sect leaders, about abuse allegations. –New York Post
- The Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau told the Philadelphia Inquirer this week that it had lost out on an international meeting with 3,000 attendees that decided to go to Canada or Mexico instead. –Minneapolis Star Tribune
Summary: Bureau Abbreviation
There are two common abbreviations of bureau: bur. and bu.