How do you abbreviate average? There are two common ways to abbreviate average.
- avg. grades
- av. of 12, 17, and 23
Of these two abbreviations, avg. is by far the more common abbreviation.
The plural abbreviation of average is avgs. or avs.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found in mathematics, weather reports, and Consumer Price Indexes. You might abbreviate the word average to avg. on a math report or weather report temperatures. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of mathematics or headlines, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Average Mean?
Definition of Average: Average can function as a noun, an adjective, or a verb.
As a noun, average is defined as a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.
As an adjective, average is defined as the result obtained by adding together several quantities then dividing this total by the number of quantities.
As a verb, average is defined as achieve or amount to as an average rate or amount over a period of time.
- Housing prices there are twice the national average.
- The average temperature in Tucson during the summer season is 100 degrees!
- Annual inflation averaged 2.6 percent.
The word average can function as a noun, an adjective, or a verb as in the sentence order above.
Outside Examples of Average
- According to a recent report from the National Center for Health Statistics, the average age of first-time mothers in 2014 was 26.3, up from 24.9 in 2000. –The New York Times
- HARTFORD – The Department of Motor Vehicles has cut average wait times at its 12 branches this summer to about an hour and has undertaken a review to reduce the time further. –The Hartford Courant
There are two common abbreviations of average: avg. and av. If you want to make either of these plural, simply add on an “s.”