How do you abbreviate Australia? There are two common ways to abbreviate Australia.
- Continent of Au.
- 35 Block Street, Sydney, AU
Since Australia is a proper noun, it has no plural abbreviation.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found on maps, postage addresses, mostly as AU. You might abbreviate the word Australia to Au. on a business card or a nameplate. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of maps, postal addresses, or headlines, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Australia Mean?
Australia is the world’s smallest continent SE of Asia, between the Indian and the Pacific oceans.
- Brian, a native of Australia, regaled us with story after story of his fascinating trip around the world on foot!
- We have planned for our trip to Australia for three months. I can’t believe our departure day has finally come!
The word Australia functions as a proper noun in the sentence.
Outside Examples of Australia
- The Australia-based carrier flies that route using an Airbus A380, the world’s largest passenger aircraft. The additional flight means a 16 percent increase in the number of seats on the route, according to D/FW Airport. –Dallas Morning News
- Australia is making top-level appeals to Vietnam on Wednesday to lift a sudden ban on veterans commemorating the 50th anniversary of Australia’s most costly battle of the Vietnam War. –Orange County Register
Summary: Australia Abbreviation
There are two common abbreviations of Australia: Au. and AU. Since Australia is a singular, proper noun, it cannot be pluralized.