How do you abbreviate anniversary? There is only one standard way to abbreviate anniversary.
- Employee Service Anniv.
- 9/11 Anniv. Attracts Thousands to N.Y.C,
The plural abbreviation of anniversary is annives.
Note: In the rare circumstance where the abbreviation anniv. is pluralized, the rule of thumb is to add “es” to the abbreviated form. The plural abbreviation of any word ending in “es” (anniversaries) should also end in “es”.
When to Use This Abbreviation
The abbreviation anniv. might be used in subject labels or publications where space is of concern, though it is seldom seen in general prose.
What Does Anniversary Mean?
Definition of Anniversary: Anniversary is defined as the date on which an event took place in a previous year.
- December 7th is the anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
- Mark even forgot our tenth wedding anniversary!
The word anniversary functions as a noun in the sentence.
Outside Examples of Anniversary
- It has taken 15 years, but the fashion industry has begun to formally mark the anniversary of 9/11 when it falls during New York Fashion Week. –New York Times
- Earlier this month, North Korea celebrated the 68th anniversary of its regime with an underground nuclear blast, its fifth since 2006. –Chicago Tribune
There is one abbreviation for anniversary: anniv. If you want to make this plural, remember to add on an “es”.