AP Style Aircraft Terms

The AP Stylebook holds that you should use “engine” instead of “motor” for the units that propel aircraft. For example,

  • Correct: We went for a ride in a twin-engine plane.
  • Wrong: We went for a ride in a twin-engined plane.

You should only use the terms “jet plane” and “jetliner” for those aircraft driven solely by jet engines. Use “turbo-prop” to describe an aircraft on which the jet engine is geared to a propeller. Turboprops are sometimes also called “propjets.”

See also Engine and Motor page.

Leave a Comment