How do you abbreviate extension? There are a few common ways to abbreviate extension.
- Telephone Ext. 101
- Master ETE 100
- Extn. 2405
The most common of these abbreviations is Ext. In order to make any of these abbreviations plural, simply add an “s”.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found in business and office-wide applications, master phone lists, office memos, letterhead, etc. You might abbreviate the word extension to ext. on a business card or resume. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of phone related lists or headlines, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does Extension Mean?
Definition of Extension: Extension is defined as a mutually agreed delay in the date set for the completion of a job or payment of a debt; a part that is added to something to enlarge or prolong it.
- Martin applied for an extension of the loan.
- He was able to get an extension of the due date for his thesis.
- If you know your party’s extension, enter it now.
The word extension functions as a noun in the sentence.
Outside Examples of Extension
- Bridich could have congratulated the work done in the dugout by already announcing an extension for the 52-year old Weiss, who walked into a clubhouse of 25 players and 99 problems in 2013, then was asked to restore order with the weak clout of the original one-year contract that Rockies ownership afforded him. –The Denver Post
- Senate clears the way for pilot medical pot program extension. –The Chicago Sun Times
There are two common abbreviations of extension: Ext., ETE, Extn. If you want to make any of these plural, simply add on an “s”.