How do you abbreviate district? There is one common way to abbreviate district.
- Dist. 91 State Representative
The plural abbreviation of district is dists.
When to Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found in reference to political territories, special areas of a city where concentrations of art, food, or ethnicities can be found.
You might abbreviate the word district to dist. when talking about a specific representative of congressman. It is would be common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of professional titles or headlines, district is not abbreviated in general prose.
What Does District Mean?
Definition of District: District is defined as an area of a country or city, especially one regarded as a distinct unit because of a particular characteristic; divide into districts.
- The service tonight has been unacceptable. May I speak with a district?
- This district is known as “China Town” because of the concentration of Chinese population here.
The word district functions as a noun in the sentence.
Outside Examples of District
- Senior Deputy District Attorney John Kellner isn’t daunted by cold cases with seemingly little evidence. –The Denver Post
- In May 2015, the Southwest Voter Registration Education Project in Los Angeles offered $25,000. To a random voter in one district during a school boards election, in a project named Voteria. –New York Times
Summary: District Abbreviation
There is one common abbreviation of district: dist. If you want to make it plural, simply add on an “s.”