How do you abbreviate China? There are a few ways to abbreviate China.
- Made in ROC
- Beijing, CN
- Military Ops in S. CHN sea
There is no plural for China; therefore its abbreviated forms cannot be pluralized. Note that the abbreviations are acronyms, all capitals, with no period to indicate abbreviation.
When to Use This Abbreviation
These abbreviations are usually found on postal and freight addresses, or maps. You may also see China abbreviated in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of addressing mail or freight, and on maps, abbreviations such as ROC, CN, or CHN will not appear in prose or similarly written texts
What Does China Mean?
Definition of China: China is defined as People’s Republic of. Also called Nationalist China, a republic consisting mainly of the island of Taiwan off the S.E. coast of mainland China: under Nationalist control since 1948 but claimed by the People’s Republic of China.
- Jacques is traveling this week. I expect him to be arriving in Republic of China at 2:00 a.m. our time.
- Lindsay is traveling with Alexandre to Taipei, China.
- China strives to limit its population by dictating to its citizens the number of children allowed by law.
China functions as a proper noun in the sentences.
Outside Examples of China
- As Starbucks pushes into China, CEO says market will eclipse U.S. –Chicago Tribune
- Hutchinson said Thursday that the state has signed a memorandum of understanding with Suzhou Tianyuan Garments Company. The governor is on a trade mission in China and he spoke to reporters via Skype. –Newsday
Summary: China Abbreviation
There are a few common abbreviations of China: ROC, CN, and CHN. There is only one China, therefore, abbreviations can be pluralized. Note that the most commonly accepted version is ROC, which is the acceptable abbreviation for international mail or shipment.